2019 European Parliament election in Gibraltar
Contributes towards 6 seats to the European Parliament
European Parliament elections were held in Gibraltar (which formed part of the European Parliament constituency of South West England). 23 May 2019 as part of the EU-wide elections after the date of EU withdrawal was delayed by the UK Government.
Gibraltar's European Union Withdrawal Act was passed in March 2019 with the support of the governing GSLP–Liberal coalition and an independent MP. The opposition Gibraltar Social Democrats originally did not intend to support the bill but later voted for it, but against parts of the legislation.
According to the Gibraltar newspaper Panorama, there had been a rise in Euroscepticism in Gibraltar since Spain was given a veto by the EU over Gibraltar's participation in the withdrawal agreement.
Candidates from the Brexit Party, Liberal Democrats, English Democrats and UKIP visited Gibraltar to campaign in the elections. The Liberal Democrat lead candidate for the constituency accepted that there was "anger and frustration" with regards to the EU's actions towards Gibraltar after the referendum result, but stated that she felt the party's anti-Brexit message was being received well.
Brexit Party candidate, James Glancy expressed concerns over the ramifications for Gibraltar of European federalisation, the Common Security and Defence Policy and influence of Spanish politicians in the EU in the event that Brexit would not happen.
The result was a win for the Liberal Democrats, reflecting "clearly pro-EU and pro Remain" sentiment and with the Brexit Party taking second place, which "reflects not just frustration with the stagnated Brexit process, but also anger at the way the EU has backed Spain during the withdrawal negotiations", according to the Gibraltar Chronicle.
- "THIRD SUPPLEMENT TO THE GIBRALTAR GAZETTE" (PDF). Archived (PDF) from the original on 17 October 2019. Retrieved 14 July 2021.
- "Gibraltar prepares for EU elections as May seeks extension to Brexit deadline". 6 April 2019.
- "Govt to pass Brexit bill without GSD support". Gibraltar Broadcasting Corporation. 30 January 2019.
- "Brexit withdrawal legislation passed after bitter exchanges in Parliament". Gibraltar Chronicle. 20 March 2019. Retrieved 19 April 2019.[permanent dead link]
- Picardo, Fabian [@fabianpicardo] (24 November 2018). "The clearest, firmest support EVER by a British Prime Minister iro #Gibraltar by @theresa_may. Also the most timely. Mrs May has fully supported us, our British sovereignty & our economy. She has never let us down! Her #WithdrawalAgreement works for us! @10DowningStreet" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Government has chosen to accept a bad deal which protects frontier workers but not our residents permanently". Gibraltar Social Democrats. 26 March 2019.
- Olivero, Leo (23 May 2019). "EU Election Day: What's Really in it For Us?". Panorama. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- GBC News (17 May 2019). "Voters turning to Lib Dems for leave vote, says Lead Candidate" – via YouTube.
- GBC News (16 May 2019). "Brexit Party vows to take on and represent Gibraltar's interests in Europe" – via YouTube.
- "Gibraltar votes Lib Dem in EU election, but Brexit Party tops regional poll". 26 May 2019. Archived from the original on 27 May 2019. Retrieved 27 May 2019.