GY postcode area
Coordinates: 49°27′58″N 2°32′46″W / 49.466°N 2.546°W / 49.466; -2.546
|Coordinates: 49°27′58″N 2°32′46″W / 49.466°N 2.546°W / 49.466; -2.546|
|Postcode area name|
|Statistics as at May 2020|
The GY postcode area, also known as Guernsey postcode area, its post town, is a group of 10 consecutive postal districts covering Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm and the two inhabited lesser islets in that region of the Channel Islands. It was established in 1993 as an extension of the United Kingdom postcode system.
The approximate coverage of the postal districts. The post town is GUERNSEY for all postcode districts
|Postcode district||Sector(s)||Unit codes||Parish or island|
|GY1||1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7||Saint Peter Port|
|3||HR||Herm in the above parish|
|4||AB||Jethou in the above parish|
|GY6||8||AA – QZ||Vale|
|RA – ZZ||Saint Andrew|
|GY7||9||Saint Pierre du Bois|
|GY8||0||AA – JZ||Forest|
|KA – ZZ||Torteval|
Previously, both Alderney and Sark were covered by the GY9 district. In March 2009, Royal Mail had "agreed in principle" for the creation of the GY10 district which would cover all addresses on the island of Alderney, leaving just those of smaller Sark in GY9. This was intended to reduce the amount of mail being sent to the wrong island. The States of Alderney opposed doing it that way round, and instead Sark changed from sector GY9 0 to GY10 1 on 5 January 2011.
- Postcode Address File
- Guernsey Post
- List of postcode areas in the United Kingdom
- Jersey postcode area
- ^ "ONS Postcode Directory Version Notes" (ZIP). National Statistics Postcode Products. Office for National Statistics. May 2020. Table 2. Retrieved 19 June 2020.
- ^ Royal Mail, Address Management Guide, (2004)
- ^ Written Answer , House of Commons Hansard, London, 17 December 2002, column 739W.
- ^ a b http://www.guernseypost.com/postcode_finder – GY1 3HR
- ^ Island FM (3 March 2009). "Alderney postcodes could soon change to GY10". Guernsey Insight. Jersey: Wave Telecom. Archived from the original on 11 July 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2010.
- ^ States of Alderney (27 April 2009). "Minute 22/2009 Any other business: 22.1 Change of postcode for Alderney". Minutes of Policy and Finance Committee 23 March 2009. Alderney. Archived from the original on 26 September 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2010.
- Royal Mail's Postcode Address File
- A quick introduction to Royal Mail's Postcode Address File (PAF)