|County||Yirol West County|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EAT)|
Yirol is a city in South Sudan.
It is located in Yirol West County, Lakes State, in central South Sudan. Its location lies approximately 313 kilometres (194 mi), by road, northwest of Juba, the largest city in South Sudan and the capital of that country. The coordinates of Yirol are: 6° 33' 36.00"N, 30° 30' 36.00"E (Latitude: 6.5600; Longitude: 30.5100). Yirol is located 39.5 km (24.5 miles) west of Malek County headquarter .
Yirol is a small but growing town in the middle of South Sudan. It is surrounded by water bodies (a river and a lake) which offer water for human and livestock use and consumption. The fish from the river and lake are a source of badly needed protein for the local population.
As of July 2011[update], it estimated that the population of Yirol, South Sudan is approximately 11,650.
The three pillars of the economy in Yirol are (a) cattle ranching (b) fishing and (c) subsistence agriculture. Cattle ranching requires frequent movement of animals in search of green pastures, in concert with the rain patterns in the area. Fishing takes place on nearby Lake Yirol, Lake Nyiboor, Lake Anyii and River Payii.
Three roads lead out of town:
- The road west leads to the town of Rumbek (est.pop: 2011 = 32,100), the capital of western State.
- The road north eventually leads to the town of Bentiu (est.pop: 2011 = 7,700), the capital of Unity State
- The road south eventually leads to the city of Juba (est.pop: 2008 = 250,000), the capital of South Sudan and the largest city in the country.
The town of Yirol is also served by Yirol Airport.
- Photo of Women in Yirol in 2009
- Location of Yirol At Google Maps
- YouTube video of Yirol fishermen
- Thousands of South Sudanese Continue to Return From The Republic of Sudan
- "Full list of Kiir's proposed new 28 states in S Sudan". Radio Tamazuj. 3 October 2015. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Estimated Road Distance Between Juba And Yirol With Map
- Estimated Population of Yirol In 2011