|Coordinates: 08°10′N 28°04′E / 8.167°N 28.067°E / 8.167; 28.067Coordinates: 08°10′N 28°04′E / 8.167°N 28.067°E / 8.167; 28.067|
|Region||Bahr el Ghazal|
|• Governor||Gen. Aleu Ayieny Aleu|
|• Total||45,567.24 km2 (17,593.61 sq mi)|
|• Density||16/km2 (41/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (CAT)|
low · 9th of 10
Warrap (also spelled Warab), is a state in South Sudan located in the Bahr el Ghazal region. It has an area of 31,027 km².
The governor of Warrap State is Manhiem Bol Malek who replaced Aleu Ayieny Aleu in November 2022.
Warrap State comprises an area of 31,027 km². Kuajok is the capital of Warrap state. All states in South Sudan are divided into counties, each headed by a County Commissioner appointed by the President of the Republic of South Sudan
|Gogrial East||3,890.55||103,283||Maluach Malueth|
|Gogrial West||4,754.37||243,921||Makuc Aruol Luach|
|Tonj South||7,449.73||86,592||Nhial Deng Nhial (Acting)|
|Tonj North||11,012.05||165,222||Kuol Akoon Kuol|
|Tonj East||3,990.61||116,122||John Deng Kok|
|Twic||3,922.65||204,905||Deng Tong Goch|
The state became part of South Sudan after a successful secession from Sudan on 9 July 2011.
Warrap State is located in the Bahr el Ghazal region. To its north lies the disputed region of Abyei, to its east lies Unity State. To the west is Western Bahr el Ghazal and Northern Bahr el Ghazal, and to its south lies the Lakes State.
The state is home to the Luanyjang, Twic, Jur-Man Anger, Bongo and Rek subtribes of Nilotic ethnicity. The Twic, Luanyjang, and Rek are of Dinka tribes.
Warrap State is also home to the late Manute Bol who hailed from Twic county. Upon his death in 2010, NBA basketball star Manute Bol was buried in the Warrap state in his hometown of Turalei.
The president of the Republic of South Sudan, Gen. Salva Kiir Mayardit is a native of Warrap State. Alek Wek, a prominent International model of South Sudan descent and British citizenship, also hailed from the state.
The state constitution was adopted in 2008. Lewis Anei Madut-Kuendit was the first governor of the state and Akech Tong Aleu was the last governor of Warrap state. Madot Dut Deng was the last Speaker of the State Assembly.
The main religions in Warrap State are the African Traditional Religion Christianity (Catholicism, Protestantism). A sizable proportion of the population practices African traditional religions.
- ^ "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2020-04-18.
- ^ Ninrew, Chany (2022-12-05). "Warrap governor calls for unity to end conflicts". Eye Radio. Retrieved 2023-01-14.
- ^ "South Sudan's Kiir sacks Warrap State governor, minister". Sudan Tribune.
- ^ Map of South Sudan
- ^ "Basketball star Bol buried in south Sudan". July 5, 2010. Archived from the original on June 1, 2012. Retrieved October 3, 2019 – via af.reuters.com.
- ^ President Salva Kiir Comes From Warrap State
- ^ Campbell, Roy H. "Refugee from Sudan takes runways by storm Fashion: 19-year-old Alek Wek's regal carriage and exotic face may begin to change the Western concept of beauty". baltimoresun.com. Retrieved October 3, 2019.
- ^ Deng, Madot. "Speaker of the State Assembly".