This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2019)
|Coordinates: 27°31′N 90°30′E / 27.517°N 90.500°E / 27.517; 90.500|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BTT)|
Trongsa, previously Tongsa (Dzongkha: ཀྲོང་གསར་, Wylie: krong gsar), is a Thromde or town, and the capital of Trongsa District in central Bhutan. The name means "new village" in Dzongkha. The first temple was built in 1543 by the Drukpa lama Ngagi Wangchuck, who was the great-grandfather of Ngawang Namgyal, Zhabdrung Rinpoche, the unifier of Bhutan.
Chökhor Raptentse Dzong at Trongsa which was built in 1644, used to be the seat of power of the Wangchuck dynasty before it became rulers of Bhutan in 1907. Traditionally the King of Bhutan first becomes the Trongsa Penlop (governor) before being named Crown Prince and eventually King. Built on a mountain spur high above the gorges of the Mangde Chhu, the dzong controlled east-west trade for centuries. The only road connecting eastern and western Bhutan (the precursor to the modern Lateral Road), passed through the courtyard of the dzong. At the command of the penlop the massive doors could be shut, dividing the country in two.
Higher yet on the mountainside is a watchtower, called "Ta Dzong"(watch tower), built to guard the dzong from enemies but now housing a museum and a chapel dedicated to Jigme Namgyal who was Trongsa Penlop from 1853 to 1870. 
Highway to Sarpang just east of the town
- Trongsa Dzong
- Penlop of Trongsa
- Trongsa Province
- Bhutan Cultural Atlas
- ^ Atlas of Bhutan:Land Cover and Institutional Facilities. Thimphu: National Land Commission. 2016. p. 32. ISBN 978-9993692614.
Coordinates: 27°31′N 90°30′E / 27.517°N 90.500°E / 27.517; 90.500