The fjord was originally named Deicrowe's Sound by the English in 1616 after Benjamin Decrow, who was a leading figure of the Muscovy Company from 1610 onwards. This name appears on the Muscovy Company's map (1625) down to at least William Scoresby’s (1820).
References and sources
- Conway, Martin. (1982). No Man's Land: A History of Spitsbergen from its Discovery in 1596 to the Beginning of the Scientific Exploration of the Country. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. p. 364.
- Norwegian Polar Institute: Place names in Norwegian polar areas
- Purchas, S. 1625. Hakluytus Posthumus or Purchas His Pilgrimes: Contayning a History of the World in Sea Voyages and Lande Travells by Englishmen and others. Volumes XIII and XIV (Reprint 1906 J. Maclehose and sons).