|Established||1 January 2007|
|• Mayor||Frands Fischer|
|• Total||462.45 km2 (178.55 sq mi)|
(1. January 2023)
|• Density||140/km2 (360/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Skanderborg Municipality is a municipality (Danish, kommune) in Region Midtjylland on the Jutland peninsula in central Denmark, just southwest of Aarhus. It covers an area of 462.45 km2, with a population of 65,138 (1. January 2023).
Its mayor as of 1 April 2019 is Frands Fischer, representing the Social Democrats political party.
Skanderborg is the municipality's main town, and serves as the seat of the municipal council.
On 1 January 2007 Skanderborg municipality was, as the result of Kommunalreformen ("The Municipal Reform" of 2007), merged with Galten, Ry, and Hørning municipalities, along with Voerladegård Parish from Brædstrup municipality, to form the present, expanded "Skanderborg Municipality". The former municipality covered an area of 143.22 km2, and had a population of 21,745 (2003). Its last mayor was Aleksander Aagaard, a member of the agrarian liberal Venstre political party.
The municipality has two of Denmark's three highest natural points of terrain, namely Møllehøj at 170.86 metres (560.6 feet), and Ejer Bavnehøj at 170.35 metres (558.9 feet), in the southern part, southwest of the city of Skanderborg. Himmelbjerget at 147 metres (482 feet), is in the western part of the municipality, and Yding Skovhøj at 170.77 metres (560.3 feet), is in neighboring Horsens municipality, west of the other two highest points of natural terrain.
Skanderborg's municipal council consists of 29 members, elected every four years.
Below are the municipal councils elected since the Municipal Reform of 2007.
|2005||10||2||1||2||1||13||29||74.6%||Jens Grønlund (V)|
|2009||11||1||1||4||1||11||70.8%||Jørgen Gaarde (A)|
|Data from Kmdvalg.dk 2005, 2009, 2013 and 2017|
- BY2: Population 1. January by municipality The Mobile Statbank from Statistics Denmark
- "What is Business Region Aarhus". businessregionaarhus.dk. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Tal og statistik" [Figures and Statistics] (in Danish). Byregion Østjylland. Retrieved 25 April 2016.
- Municipal statistics: NetBorger Kommunefakta, delivered from KMD aka Kommunedata (Municipal Data)
- Municipal merges and neighbors: Eniro new municipalities map
- Municipality's official website
- Skanderborg tourist bureau