Roman Catholic Diocese of Churchill–Hudson Bay
Diocese of Churchill–Baie d’Hudson
|Ecclesiastical province||Keewatin–Le Pas|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|Sui iuris church||Latin Church|
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Churchill–Hudson Bay (French Diocèse de Churchill–Baie d’Hudson, Latin: Dioecesis Churchillpolitana–Sinus de Hudson) is a Latin Catholic suffragan diocese in the ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Keewatin–Le Pas.
- Established on 1925.07.15 as Apostolic Prefecture of Hudson Bay (English) / Baie d’Hudson (French) / Sinus de Hudson (Latin), on territory split off from Apostolic Vicariate of Keewatin (now its Metropolitan)
- Promoted on 1931.12.21 as Apostolic Vicariate of Hudson Bay (English) / Baie d’Hudson / Sinus de Hudson (Latin)
- Lost territory on 1945.07.13 to establish the then Apostolic Vicariate of Labrador
- Promoted on 1967.07.13 as Diocese of Churchill / Churchillpolitan(us) (Latin)
- Renamed on 1968.01.29 as Diocese of Churchill–Hudson Bay (English) / Churchill–Baie d’Hudson / Churchillpolitan(us)–Sinus de Hudson (Latin).
Statistics and extent
As per 2014, it pastorally served 10,370 Catholics (30.5% of 34,023 total) on 2,300,000 km² in 13 parishes and 8 missions with 3 priests (diocesan), 1 deacon and 2 lay religious (2 sisters).
As of 2004, the diocese had 17 parishes, 7 religious priests and 7,900 Catholics, 2 Women Religious, 8 Religious Brothers and 1 permanent deacon.
(all Roman Rite)
- Apostolic Prefect of Hudson Bay
- Fr. Louis-Eugène-Arsène Turquetil, Missionary Oblates of Mary Immaculate (born France) (O.M.I.) (1925.07.15 – 1931.12.15 see below)
- Apostolic Vicars of Churchill-Hudson Bay
- Louis-Eugène-Arsène Turquetil (see above 1931.12.15 – retired 1942.12.18), Titular Bishop of Ptolemais in Phœnicia (1931.12.15 – death 1955.06.14)
- Marc Lacroix, O.M.I. (first Canadian incumbent) (1942.12.18 – 1967.07.13 see below), Titular Bishop of Rhosus (1942.12.18 – 1967.07.13)
- Suffragan Bishops of Churchill
- Marc Lacroix (see above 1967.07.13 – 1968.01.29 see below)
- Suffragan Bishops of Churchill-Hudson Bay
- Marc Lacroix (see above 1968.01.29 – retired 1968.10.25), emeritate as Titular Bishop of Chullu (1968.10.25 – resigned 1970.11.24), died 1976
- Omer Alfred Robidoux (1970.03.07 – death 1986.11.12)
- Reynald Rouleau (1987.05.15 – retired 2013.02.16)
- Wiesław Krótki (born Poland) (16 February 2013 - ... ).
- Armand Clabaut, O.M.I. (1937-1940), as Coadjutor Vicar Apostolic; did not succeed to see
- GCatholic, with Google map and satellite photo - data for all sections
- Diocese of Churchill-Baie d'Hudson page at catholichierarchy.org retrieved July 18, 2006
- Official website