President of the Policy and Resources Committee of Guernsey
|President of the Policy and Resources Committee of Guernsey|
|Appointer||States of Guernsey|
|Term length||Four years|
|Formation||1 May 2016|
|First holder||Gavin St Pier|
|Unofficial names||Chief Minister|
The president of the Policy and Resources Committee (P&RC president), also known as the Chief Minister of Guernsey, is the head of government of Guernsey and chair of the Policy and Resources Committee. The head of government is not directly elected by the people but rather by the legislature, the States of Guernsey.
Following a reform of the institutions of Guernsey adopted in July 2015, a five-member senior committee, Policy and Resources Committee, headed by a president was created on 1 May 2016 to replace the Policy Council. The position of Chief Minister, who chaired the Policy Council, was abolished, along with the ministerial government system.
The 40 members of the States of Guernsey hold a secret ballot election to determine the president, with successive rounds of voting continuing until an outright winner is elected. All candidates having to be proposed and seconded. The president of the committee is the de facto head of government of Guernsey and may be given the title "Chief Minister".
List of titleholders
|#||Name||Term of office||Ref.|
|1||Gavin St Pier||4 May 2016||16 October 2020|||
|2||Peter Ferbrache||16 October 2020||Incumbent|||
- "2018 Rates of remuneration for States' Members and Non-States' Members" (PDF). States of Guernsey. Archived (PDF) from the original on 18 October 2020. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "Guernsey States deputies' numbers cut in new government". BBC News. 9 July 2015. Archived from the original on 18 October 2020. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "New version of Guernsey's government comes into force". BBC News. 1 May 2016. Archived from the original on 18 October 2020. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "Gavin St Pier elected as Guernsey States' President". BBC News. 4 May 2016. Archived from the original on 18 October 2020. Retrieved 18 October 2020.
- "Peter Ferbrache elected as P&R president". BBC News. 16 October 2020. Archived from the original on 16 October 2020. Retrieved 16 October 2020.