Originally built in the Tenbun period (1532-1555), it was the first of 11 resting spots along the Kisoji (木曽路), which stretched to modern-day Nakatsugawa, Gifu Prefecture. It also marked the dividing point between the lands of Owari Han and Matsumoto han. It became part of the Nakasendō during the Edo period.
Neighboring post towns
- Motoyama-juku - Niekawa-juku - Narai-juku
- Niekawa-juku (starting location) - Narai-juku
- Kisoji Shukuba-machi Series: Niekawa-juku Archived 2007-05-24 at the Wayback Machine. Higashi Nihon Denshin Denwa. Accessed July 24, 2007.