Murgap District, Turkmenistan
Murgap etraby 1957-
Stalin etraby 1933-1957
Founded as Stalin District in February 1935, this district joined Mary four years later, in November 1939. Twenty-two years later, it was renamed to its current name, Murgap, as part of a de-Stalinization campaign. It was administered directly by the Turkmen SSR government after Mary dissolved in January 1963.
In December 1970, Murgap joined Mary again, where it stays until this day.