|• Total||1.983 km2 (0.766 sq mi)|
|Elevation||105 m (344 ft)|
|• Density||4,800/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Alipurduars|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Kalchini|
Mechiabasti is located at.
Alipurduar district is covered by two maps. It is an extensive area in the eastern end of the Dooars in West Bengal. It is undulating country, largely forested, with numerous rivers flowing down from the outer ranges of the Himalayas in Bhutan. It is a predominantly rural area with 79.38% of the population living in the rural areas. The district has 1 municipal town and 20 census towns and that means that 20.62% of the population lives in the urban areas. The scheduled castes and scheduled tribes, taken together, form more than half the population in all the six community development blocks in the district. There is a high concentration of tribal people (scheduled tribes) in the three northern blocks of the district.
Note: The map alongside presents some of the notable locations in the subdivision. All places marked in the map are linked in the larger full screen map.
As per the 2011 Census of India, Mechiabasti had a total population of 9,592. There were 4,898 (51%) males and 4,694 (49%) females. There were 1,315 persons in the age range of 0 to 6 years. The total number of literate people in Mechiabasti was 5,407 (65.33% of the population over 6 years).
According to the District Census Handbook 2011, Jalpaiguri, Mechiabasti covered an area of 1.983 km2. Among the civic amenities, the protected water supply involved tube well, borewell, hand pump. It had 400 domestic electric connections. Among the medical facilities it had 1 dispensary/, 1 medicine shop. Among the educational facilities it had 2 primary schools, the nearest middle school at Torsa 3 km away, the nearest secondary school, the nearest senior secondary school at Dallingpara 5 km away.
- "District Statistical Handbook 2014 Jalpaiguri". Tables 2.2, 2.4b. Department of Planning and Statistics, Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "CD block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". 2011 census: West Bengal – District-wise CD blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "District Census Handbook, Jalpaiguri, Series 20, Part XIIA" (PDF). Census of India 2011, page 13 Physiography. Directorate of Census Operations, West Bengal. Retrieved 18 June 2020.
- "C.D. Block Wise Primary Census Abstract Data(PCA)". West Bengal – District-wise CD Blocks. Registrar General and Census Commissioner, India. Retrieved 5 July 2020.
- "District Census Handbook Jalpaiguri, Census of India 2011, Series 20, Part XII A" (PDF). Section II Town Directory, pp. 451–453: Statement I: Status and Growth History, pp. 454–455: Statement II: Physical Aspects and Location of Towns, pp. 456–457: Statement III: Civic and other Amenities, pp. 458–459: Statement IV: Medical Facilities 2009, pp. 460–463: Statement V: Educational, Recreational and Cultural Facilities, Pages 464: Statement VI:Industry and Banking. Directorate of Census Operations V, West Bengal. Retrieved 26 June 2020.
- "Nani Bhattacharya Smarak Mahavidyalaya". NBSM. Retrieved 29 June 2020.
- "Nani Bhattachaya Smarak Mahavidyalaya". College Admission. Retrieved 29 June 2020.