|Etymology: Named after Lachish|
|Coordinates: 31°33′42″N 34°50′34″E / 31.56167°N 34.84278°E / 31.56167; 34.84278Coordinates: 31°33′42″N 34°50′34″E / 31.56167°N 34.84278°E / 31.56167; 34.84278|
Lakhish (Hebrew: לָכִישׁ) is a moshav in the northern Negev in south-central Israel. Located south-east of Kiryat Gat, it falls under the jurisdiction of Lakhish Regional Council. In 2021 it had a population of 800.
The moshav was founded as a Nahal settlement in 1955 on the land of the depopulated Palestinian village of al-Qubayba. Named after Lachish, the ancient town of the same name, which is now an archaeological tel, just north of the moshav.
The economy of Lakhish is based on the cultivation and sale of grapes. In 2006, the moshav built a large reservoir with a capacity of 1.25 million cubic meters to irrigate its 6,000 dunams of vineyards.
- ^ a b "Regional Statistics". Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 22 February 2023.
- ^ Khalidi, W. (1992). All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948. Washington D.C.: Institute for Palestine Studies. p. 221. ISBN 0-88728-224-5.
- ^ Agriculture from KKL-JNF Reservoirs Jewish National Fund