Independent University, Bangladesh
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
|Motto||Teacheth man that which he knew not|
|Chancellor||President Abdul Hamid|
|180 (full-time faculty), 76 (adjunct faculty). Total – 256|
|Students||More than 7,500 undergraduate and graduate students|
Plot 16, Block B, Aftabuddin Ahmed Road,
|Colors||Blue and saffron|
Independent University, Bangladesh (Bengali: ইন্ডিপেন্ডেন্ট বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়) or IUB is a one of the well renowned, prestigious and popular private university in Bangladesh. It is located in Bashundhara Residential Area of Dhaka, Bangladesh. It was established in 1993 under the Private University Act, 1992. With an explicit focus on Research and Global partnerships. IUB has an enrollment of 10,000 students, 11,556 alumni, and 401 faculty members (of which 70% have Ph.D. mostly from North America). The campus is spread over three and a half acres and is well-equipped with an amphitheater, a library, state-of-the-art laboratories, and more than 120 classrooms. The university is committed to research and global partnerships. This is why students are encouraged to engage in research projects, alongside conventional classroom-based learning. The Independent University has academic research collaborations with a number of prestigious universities including Harvard University, Stanford University, and the University of Colorado at Boulder.
IUB is the only university in Bangladesh that was shortlisted in the Times Higher Education (THE) Awards 2020 for student recruitment campaign of the year. IUB's position is at the top in the whole of Asia. According to the world university rankings of Times Higher Education (THE), IUB stands within 400th universities globally in terms of various aspects of impact analysis.[] The Ranking Web of Universities (RWU) credited IUB as the top institution in the country in 2019. IUB, ranked 1st in Bangladesh, was also ranked 859th among the 11,852 Asian universities (excluding the Middle East), 124th among the 4,479 universities in South Asia, and 3,006th among the 28,000+ universities in the world. For comparison, the lowest-ranking institution in Bangladesh (i.e., 147th), was ranked 10,701st in Asia, 4,155th in South Asia, and 26,428th in the world, which clearly shows a wide spectrum of the quality of higher education in the country.
As the leading host institution for Fulbright Scholars in Bangladesh, the university offers exchange programs with scholars from top American and Canadian universities. The academic curriculum at the Independent University is based on a North American liberal arts model, and courses are taught in English. There are five academic schools at the university: School of Business and Entrepreneurship (SBE); School of Engineering, Technology, and Science (SETS); School of Environment and Life Sciences (SELS); School of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (SLASS); and School of Pharmacy and Public Health (SPPH).
There are a lot of opportunities outside of the classroom for students to get involved. The Division of Student Affairs is responsible for organizing all student activities including the 17 university clubs. These include the art club, debating club, economics club, and film club. Students also participate in community service programs such as blood donation, fundraising for victims of natural disasters, and donating warm clothes in winter.
List of vice-chancellors
School of Business and Entrepreneurship (SBE)
The school offers an undergraduate Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree. Available areas of concentration are accounting, economics, finance, general management, human resource management, international business, management information systems, and marketing.
Graduate program (MBA)
The school offers an MBA degree. Students are allowed up to five years from the date of initial enrollment to complete the degree requirements. It is possible to finish the program within five semesters by taking the maximum course load, or within three semesters if students have waivers or transfer courses. Available areas of concentration are banking, finance, human resources management, and marketing.
Graduate program (EMBA)
The school also offers an EMBA degree.
Graduate program (MSc Economics)
The school also offers a Master of Science (MSc) in Economics degree.  The program offers a concentration in Development Economics, International Economics, Applied Econometrics, Financial Economics and Environmental and Natural Resource Economics.
School of Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (SETS)
- B.Sc. in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- B.Sc. in Electrical & Telecommunication Engineering (ETE)
- B.Sc. in Computer Science & Engineering (CSE)
- B.Sc. in Computer Science (CSC)
- B.Sc. in Computer Engineering (CEN)
- B.Sc. in Physics
- B.Sc. in Mathematics
- M.Sc. in Computer Networks and Communications (CNC)
- M.Sc. in Telecommunication Engineering (TE)
- M.Sc. / M.Eng. in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- M.Sc. in Computer Science (CSC)
- M.Sc. in Software Engineering (SEN)
School of Environment and Life Sciences (SELS)
The school offers undergraduate programs on various majors under the Department of Environmental Science and Management and the Department of Life Sciences.
The school offers graduate programs on various majors.
School of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences (SLASS)
The school offers undergraduate programs on a rare variety including Anthropology, Sociology, Global Studies and Governance (the only program of such kind in the country), Media and Communication, English Literature, English Language Teaching and Law. Besides the school offers undergraduate minors on all subjects mentioned above. It also offers many foundation courses ranging from history to philosophy, art to politics, music to culture.
The school offers graduate programs in Development Studies, English Language Teaching, Media and Communication, and English Literature.
School of Pharmacy and Public Health (SPPH)
The school offers an undergraduate program in Pharmacy.
Executive Master of Public Health
The school offers an executive master of Public Health.
The faculty includes scholars such as musicologist Mustafa Zaman Abbasi, microbiologist Shah M. Faruque, pharmacologist J. M. A. Hannan, and climatologist Saleemul Huq. Ekushey Padak and Independence Day Award recipient Enamul Haque taught at the university.
- The content of this article is based on its Bangla equivalent on bangla Wikipedia.
- Private University Act, 1992, archived from the original on 25 April 2003, retrieved 17 June 2007
- IUB at a glance, Information about the University, retrieved 30 August 2015
- World University Ranking, 18 February 2021
- "Omar Rahman stays as VC of IUB". The Daily Star. 4 March 2016. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- "Professor Tanweer Hasan joins IUB as the new vice-chancellor". Dhaka Tribune. 22 February 2021. Retrieved 26 April 2022.
- "Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)" (PDF). School of Business. Independent University, Bangladesh.
- "Master of Business Administration (MBA)" (PDF). School of Business. Independent University, Bangladesh.
- "M.Sc in Economics". 3 April 2016.
- "Overview | Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IUB".
- Kamal, Nashid (24 December 2016). "Celebrating the birthday of a celebrity". The Daily Star.
- "Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). The World Academy of Sciences.
- "Prof. Dr. J.M.A Hannan". Independent University, Bangladesh.
- "IUB's Professor Saleemul Huq on Reuters Hot List of top climate scientists". bdnews24.com. 29 April 2021.
- Sen, Geeti, ed. (1997). Crossing Boundaries. Orient Blackswan. p. 301. ISBN 978-81-250-1341-9.
- Official website