|Summit depth||−10 m (−33 ft)|
|Location||Home Reef is located between Metis Shoal and Late Island, Tonga|
|Last eruption||September 2022|
Home Reef is a volcanic island atop a submarine volcano in Tonga. It is located southwest of Vava'u, between the islands of Kao and Late along the Tofua volcanic arc. The island is ephemeral, and has been repeatedly built and eroded by successive eruptions in 1852, 1857, 1984, 2006, and 2022.
After a volcanic eruption started on 8 August 2006, Home Reef emerged as an island; that eruption also spewed into Tongan waters large amounts of floating pumice, which swept across to Fiji about 350 km (220 mi) to the west of the new island. In October 2006, it reached almost the same size as it did in 1984, when it was about 0.5 km × 1.5 km (0.3 by 0.9 miles). The island was first seen by the crew of a yacht, who recorded its emergence in their blog. The eruptions produced extensive rafts of pumice, which drifted northeast from the new island. The pumice rafts and new island were imaged by the Aqua satellite in August 2006. Images also revealed several small hot crater lakes on the newly formed island.
The volcano erupted again in September 2022. Eruptions began on 10 September, and by 17 September had built an island with an area of 6 acres and an elevation of 10m above sea level. On 20 September the Tonga Geological Services warned of ash to a height of 3km, drifting up to 50km northwards and 70km eastwards. On 23 September 2022 the island was reported to have grown to 8 acres in size. On 25 September the island had an elevation of 15 meters above sea level.
- "Home Reef". Global Volcanism Program. Smithsonian Institution. Retrieved 2017-02-28.
- Vaughan, R. Greg; Abrams, Michael; Hook, Simon J.; Pieri, David (2007). "Satellite Observations of New Volcanic Island in Tonga". Eos Transactions American Geophysical Union. 88 (4): 37, 41. doi:10.1029/2007EO040002.
- Anna Keating (March 2007). "Tonga's ephemeral island". New Zealand Geographic. No. 84. Retrieved 17 September 2022.
- "Home Reef Reborn". NASA. 24 May 2008. Retrieved 17 September 2022.
- "Stone sea and volcano". Fredrik and Crew on Maiken. Blogger. 2006-08-17. Retrieved 2006-11-28.
- "NASA Earth Observatory". Archived from the original on 17 November 2006.
- "Home Reef Volcanic activity increasing as island re-emerges". Matangi Tonga. 17 September 2022. Retrieved 17 September 2022.
- Joshua Hawkins (22 September 2022). "NASA's Earth Observatory spots newly birthed island in the Pacific". BGR. Retrieved 24 September 2022.
- "Home Reef Volcano new ash eruption low risk to Vava'u and Ha'apai". Matangi Tonga. 20 September 2022. Retrieved 20 September 2022.
- "Volcanic Tongan island keeps on growing". RNZ. 23 September 2022. Retrieved 23 September 2022.
- Ella Morgan (25 September 2022). "New island emerges from the ocean after underwater eruption near Tonga". Stuff. Retrieved 25 September 2022.