Hennepin County Library
|Hennepin County Library|
|Location||Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States|
Hennepin County Library is a public library system serving Hennepin County, Minnesota, US. The current iteration of Hennepin County Library was formed by the merger of urban Minneapolis Public Library and suburban Hennepin County Library on January 1, 2008. The system has 41 library locations, deposit collections at nursing homes and correctional facilities, mail service to the homebound, and extensive outreach services. The library is a department of Hennepin County Government. The library headquarters are in the Ridgedale Library in suburban Minnetonka. The library system has an eleven-member advisory Library Board appointed by the Hennepin County Board of Commissioners. It is a member of the Metropolitan Library Service Agency, a consortium of eight Twin Cities library systems.
Minneapolis Public Library was founded in 1885 with the establishment of the Minneapolis Public Library Board by an amendment of the Minneapolis city charter. Minneapolis Public Library's first building was the Main Library, opened in 1889. Minneapolis Public Library later added community library branches to supplement the main library. The first branch was North Branch, established in 1890, more branches in south and east Minneapolis followed, and the system grew with the city.
Hennepin County Library started in 1922 as a horse-drawn "bookmobile" to areas outside the core city of Minneapolis. The system saw a large increase in use in the period between 1950 and 1980 as more people moved into suburban areas of the county. By 1952 there were 24 libraries in the system; additional city libraries, such as Hopkins, were incorporated into the county system. Hennepin County Library opened its first area library, Southdale, in 1973. In the early 1970s plans were in place to merge the Minneapolis Public Library with the Hennepin County Library. However, the Minneapolis library system reconsidered, and merger plans were put on hold. Ultimately, the two library systems reached an agreement, and the merger was finalized on January 1, 2008, under the name of Hennepin County Library.
Suburban Hennepin County
- Augsburg Park Library (Richfield)
- Brookdale Library (Brooklyn Center)
- Brooklyn Park Library
- Champlin Library
- Eden Prairie Library
- Edina Library
- Excelsior Library
- Golden Valley Library
- Hopkins Library
- Long Lake Library
- Maple Grove Library
- Maple Plain Library
- Minnetonka Library
- Osseo Library
- Oxboro Library (Bloomington)
- Penn Lake Library (Bloomington)
- Plymouth Library
- Ridgedale Library (Minnetonka)
- Rockford Road Library (Crystal)
- Rogers Library
- Southdale Library (Edina)
- St. Anthony Library
- St. Bonifacius Library
- St. Louis Park Library
- Wayzata Library
- Westonka Library (Mound)
The Hennepin County Free Library started operating a bookmobile (then called a book wagon) in 1922.
- Gratia Countryman, 1922–1925
- Ethel Berry, 1925–1947
- Helen Young, 1947–1969
- Robert H. Rohlf, 1969–1994
- Charles M. Brown, 1994–2004
- Amy Ryan, 2005–2008
- Lois Langer Thompson, 2009–2018
- Janet Mills (interim), 2018-2020
- Chad Helton, August 24, 2020 - February 25, 2022
- Dan Rogan (Interim), February 25, 2022 - Ongoing
- "About Hennepin County Library". Hennepin County Library. Archived from the original on 2010-02-25. Retrieved March 24, 2010.
Hennepin County Library launched in 1922; its headquarters are at Ridgedale Library in Minnetonka, Minn.
- "Hennepin County Library Board". Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- Benidt, Bruce Weir (1984). The Library Book: Centennial History of the Minneapolis Public Library. Minneapolis: Minneapolis Public Library and Information Center. ISBN 9780961371609.
- "History of Hennepin County Library" (PDF). p. 17. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-11-03. Retrieved 2011-11-02.
- "Library Merger Updates." Hennepin County Library. Retrieved on October 4, 2010. "[...]allowing the merger to take place Jan. 1, 2008."
- Furst, R. (2022, February 25). Hennepin County Library Director Chad Helton resigns. StarTribune. https://www.startribune.com/hennepin-county-library-director-chad-helton-resigns/600150680/
- Hennepin County Library
- Hennepin County Library merger page (Archive)
- History of the Hennepin County Library
- RECOLLECTIONS: History of the Hennepin County Library Bookmobile 1920s and 1930s, How Bookmobile service started in 1922 and developed over the years, and how it established the foundation for all Hennepin County Library service.
- RECOLLECTIONS: History of the Hennepin County Library Bookmobile 1940s, How Bookmobile service continued its growth in rural Hennepin County during the war and post-war years.