This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2009)
|Headquarters||Birmingham, Alabama, USA|
|Revenue||US$2.8 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
EBSCO Industries is an American company founded in 1944 by Elton Bryson Stephens Sr. and headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama. The EBSCO acronym is based on Elton Bryson Stephens Company. EBSCO Industries is a diverse company of over 40 businesses engaged in activities including information services (EBSCO Information Services), outdoor products, manufacturing, general services, publishing services, and real estate.
EBSCO is one of the largest privately held companies in Alabama, and one of the top 200 in the U.S., based on revenues and employee numbers, according to Forbes Magazine.
EBSCO was co-founded by Elton Bryson Stephens Sr. and his wife Alys Robinson Stephens in 1944 to sell magazine subscriptions, personalized binders and magazine racks to the U.S. Armed Forces. They named this "Military Service Company", and over the next decade acquired several other companies that were eventually combined to form EBSCO Industries Inc.
In 2011, EBSCO Publishing took over H. W. Wilson Company.
- "EBSCO Industries, Inc". Ebscoind.com. Retrieved February 17, 2015.
- "The largest private companies". Forbes. November 9, 2006. Archived from the original on May 9, 2007. Retrieved July 14, 2020.
- "EBSCO Industries, Inc. - History". Ebscoind.com. Archived from the original on 2013-09-03. Retrieved 2013-08-31.
- "EBSCO Publishing and The H.W. Wilson Company Make Joint Announcement of Merger Agreement". hwwilson.com (Press release). June 1, 2011. Retrieved August 24, 2011.
- Barrett, William P. (December 29, 1997). "Mousetrapped". Forbes. Archived from the original on April 7, 2005.
- "H.W. Wilson Company". The New York Times.
- Official website
- EBSCO Industries at Funding Universe