De Graff, Kansas
De Graff, Kansas
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|1,401 ft (427 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|FIPS code||20-17325 |
|GNIS ID||474396 |
In 1877, the Florence, El Dorado, and Walnut Valley Railroad Company built a branch line from Florence to El Dorado, and a station called De Graff was built. In 1881, the rail line was extended to Douglass, then later to Arkansas City. The line was leased and operated by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The line from Florence through Burns to El Dorado was abandoned in 1942. The original branch line connected Florence through El Dorado to Arkansas City.
De Graff was founded around a train station in 1877, then stagnated after the railroad was abandoned in 1942. De Graff had a post office from 1887 until 1942.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, De Graff has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
The community is served by El Dorado USD 490 public school district.
U.S. Route 77 highway runs north–south on the east side of De Graff, and follows roughly parallel to the old railway.
- "De Graff, Kansas", Geographic Names Information System, United States Geological Survey, United States Department of the Interior
- Marion County Kansas : Past and Present; Sondra Van Meter; MB Publishing House; LCCN 72-92041; 344 pages; 1972.
- 1935 Rand McNally Standard Map of Kansas
- Railway Abandonment 1942
- Blackmar, Frank Wilson (1912). Kansas: A Cyclopedia of State History, Embracing Events, Institutions, Industries, Counties, Cities, Towns, Prominent Persons, Etc. Standard Publishing Company. pp. 504.
- "Kansas Post Offices, 1828-1961 (archived)". Kansas Historical Society. Archived from the original on October 9, 2013. Retrieved 5 June 2014.
- Climate Summary for De Graff, Kansas
- Walter's Pumpkin Patch, 0.5 mile south of De Graff
- Butler County maps: Current, Historic, KDOT