Dangam District

Dangam District shown in dark pink in the east

Dangam District is situated in the eastern end of Kunar Province in Afghanistan. It borders Marawara district to the southwest, Asadabad district to the west, Bar Kunar district to the north, Nari district to the northeast and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in Pakistan to the east. The district is mountainous and stunning but also poor.[1]

The population of Dangam is approximately 18,803 (2019).[2] Of this, around 98% are Pashtuns and the remaining 2% are Tajiks.[3] There are 50 sub-villages and the district center is Dangam (34°59′33″N 71°25′08″E / 34.9925°N 71.4189°E / 34.9925; 71.4189) at 1356 m altitude, located in the central part of the district.

Dangam and the region in general has been known for military actions against militant groups.[4] It was reported in 2018 that Pakistani military entered Dangam District in helicopters to conduct air strikes.[5]


  1. ^ Dangam on YouTube
  2. ^ "Estimated Population of Afghanistan 2019-20" (PDF). National Statistics and Information Authority (NSIA). 18 November 2019. p. 20. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 June 2020. Retrieved 4 April 2020.
  3. ^ "District Profile" (PDF). UNHCR. August 10, 2002. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2005-10-27. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
  4. ^ "Joint Anti-Insurgent Operation Launched in Kunar's Dangam District". TOLOnews. January 16, 2015. Retrieved 2021-03-08.
  5. ^ "Pakistani copters enter Kunar's Dangam district, shelling". Pajhwok Afghan News. April 4, 2018. Retrieved 2021-03-08.

External links

  • Fighting continues for the 7th day in Dangam District VOA Ashna on YouTube (December 20, 2014)
  • AIMS District Map

Retrieved from "https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Dangam_District&oldid=1114931162"