Dégrad des Cannes
|Dégrad des Cannes|
|Country||French Guiana, France|
|Location||Remire-Montjoly, French Guiana|
Dégrad des Cannes is the main seaport for the French Overseas department of French Guiana, situated in the northern edge of South America and opening into the Caribbean. The seaport is located on the estuary of the Mahury River.
It also serves as the main base for the French Navy in the Caribbean Sea and one of five French naval bases not located within Metropolitan France (excluding foreign bases). The naval base is located to the east of the main commercial port along Route des Plages. A small pier for naval vessels to dock connects to the main barracks. The base has a small helipad. The naval base is home to 160 personnel, some from the French Navy and the rest from the Maritime Gendarmerie and headed by a Commandant.
Currently there are two Confiance-class patrol vessels, La Confiance and La Résolue, stationed at the base. Both naval patrol vessels entered service in 2017. The vessels are used mainly for sovereignty patrols, assisting the Maritime Gendarmerie in fisheries patrol vessels and protecting the Guiana Space Centre further west along the coast. The Maritime Gendarmerie itself operates the patrol boats Mahury and Organabo in the territory.
One Engins de Débarquement Amphibie – Standards (EDA-S) landing craft is to be delivered to naval forces based in Guiana by 2025. The landing craft is to better support coastal and riverine operations in the territory.
- Alban Mathieu 2014–?
- Serge Permal-Toulcanon ?–2014
- "DEGRAD DES CANNES". Marine Traffic. Retrieved 3 January 2022.
- "Degrad des Cannes". Marfret. Retrieved 3 January 2022.
- "Nouvelle génération sur la Guyane". Jeune Marine (in French). Retrieved 3 January 2022.
- "La Marine en Guyane". French Ministry of Defence (in French). Archived from the original on 26 June 2011.
- "Passations de commandement à la base navale de Dégrad des Cannes". French Ministry of Defence (in French). Archived from the original on 14 March 2016.
- "Vedette Côtière de Surveillance Maritime (VCSM) Boats". Homelandsecurity Technology. Archived from the original on 7 December 2021. Retrieved 2022-08-28.
- "First Two EDA-S Next Gen Amphibious Landing Craft Delivered to French DGA". 25 November 2021.