Co-Cathedral of Our Lady of Assumption, Saint-Pierre
|Co-Cathedral of Our Lady of Assumption|
|Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption de Saint-Pierre de la Martinique|
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
The Co-Cathedral of Our Lady of Assumption (French: Cathédrale Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption de Saint-Pierre de la Martinique) or simply Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, is the co-cathedral church of the Archdiocese of Fort-de-France, is located in Saint-Pierre, on the island of Martinique, a dependency of France in the Caribbean Sea.
The first church was built in 1654, it was a private chapel and is in the district of Mouillage. The tower of the chapel and the bell were destroyed during a British bombardment of the port of Saint-Pierre, in 1667. In 1675 the reconstruction of the church was proposed.
Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Port was opened in 1859. A new restoration of the main facade was begun in 1861 and neoclassical facade gave way to a baroque facade. The work concluded with the construction of the two towers of the facade and bell tower in 1885. The building was damaged by the 1902 eruption.
A new building was built using old stones with the addition of volcanic rocks and bricks. The co-cathedral was dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption and received new bells in 1925.
- Co-cathédrale Notre Dame de l’Assomption
- Collectif; Auzias, Dominique; Labourdette, Jean-Paul (2014-10-24). Martinique 2015 Petit Futé (avec cartes, photos + avis des lecteurs) (in French). Petit Futé. ISBN 9782746985612.
- Morneau, Claude (1996-01-01). Martinique. Ulysses Travel Guides. ISBN 9782894640036.
- "Cathédrale Notre-Dame de l'Assomption - Saint-Pierre". Eglise catholique de Martinique (in French). Retrieved 2016-06-02.