Churchill station (Manitoba)
|Owned by||Via Rail|
|Line(s)||Winnipeg – Churchill train|
|Structure type||2 storey heritage station building|
|Parking||Outdoor parking (short & long term)|
|Architectural style||Queen Anne Revival, Arts and Crafts|
|IATA code||XAD |
|Website||Churchill train station|
|Official name||VIA Rail/Canadian National Railways Station|
|Official name||Recognized Federal Heritage Building:Via Rail and CNR Station|
Churchill station is a railway station in Churchill, Manitoba, Canada. It is served by passenger service Via Rail as well as the Hudson Bay Railway freight carrier. The station is located 820 kilometers (510 mi) northeast from The Pas, Manitoba, on the shore of Hudson Bay. It also has Parks Canada exhibits inside.
The railway to Churchill was originally built by the Canadian National and completed in 1929. The building contains elements of the Queen Anne Revival and the Arts and Crafts styles. The Churchill railway station has been a national heritage railway station since 1992, and has been restored to its former design by the federal government.
The Canadian Government has also recognized the station as a "Recognized Federal Heritage Building" since June 2000. The station building now includes a museum as well as telephones, washrooms and a ticket office which is open one hour prior to departure of the train.
Churchill station is one of only two train stations in Canada bordering on Hudson Bay. The other is Moosonee station, located several hundred kilometers to the southeast on the Moose River south of James Bay (the southernmost part of Hudson Bay) in northern Ontario.
Following extensive flood damage to the Hudson Bay Railway in May 2017, no passenger trains ran to Churchill until December 2018.
- Churchill Airport (IATA: YYQ, ICAO: CYYQ)
- Port of Churchill
- List of designated heritage railway stations of Canada
- XAD - Churchill [Railway Station], MB, CA - Railway Station - Great Circle Mapper
- "Via Rail and CNR Station". Heritage Properties. Historical Places - A Joint Federal, Provincial and Territorial Initiative. Retrieved 2012-05-20.
- http://www.pc.gc.ca/clmhc-hsmbc/gfp-hrs/mb_E.asp List of Designated Heritage Railway Stations
- "Via Rail and CNR Station". historicplaces.ca. Retrieved February 12, 2020.
- "'It's very exciting': First rail tourists in 560 days depart for Churchill, Man". CBC News. 2 December 2018. Retrieved 2018-12-05.
- World of Stock photo of Churchill station
- Via Rail Station Information
- Government of Manitoba Regional Map