Central District (Israel)
|• Hebrew||מְחוֹז הַמֶּרְכָּז|
|• Arabic||المنطقة الوسطى|
|• District Commissioner||Jonathan Bar-Siman-Tov|
|• Total||1,293 km2 (499 sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||IL-M|
The Central District (Hebrew: מְחוֹז הַמֶּרְכָּז, Meḥoz haMerkaz; Arabic: المنطقة الوسطى) of Israel is one of six administrative districts, including most of the Sharon region. It is further divided into 4 sub-districts: Petah Tikva, Ramla, Sharon, and Rehovot. The district's largest city is Rishon LeZion. The district's population as of 2017 was 2,115,800. According to the Israeli Central Bureau of Statistics, 88% of the population is Jewish, 8.2% is Arab, and 4% are “non-classified”, being mostly former Soviet Union immigrants of partial or nominal Jewish ethnic heritage or household members of Jews.
|Cities||Local Councils||Regional Councils|
El Al Airlines maintains its corporate headquarters on the grounds of Ben Gurion Airport and in the Central District.
- "בעלי תפקידים במשרד הפנים". GOV.IL.
- Transfer of Power (District Commissioners and District Officers) Law, 5724-1964, Laws of the State of Israel vol. 18 no 38. (pp. 70-71)
- "Localities by Population, by District, Sub-District and Type of Locality". Statistical Abstract of Israel. Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. 2015. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "Localities and Population, by Population Group, District, Sub-District and Natural Region" (PDF). Statistical Abstract of Israel. Israel Central Bureau of Statistics. 2016. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 June 2018.
- "Pardesiyya (Israel)". www.fotw.us. Archived from the original on November 3, 2005.
- Orme, William A. Jr. "El Al at a Turning Point; A Mirror of Israel's Divisions Prepares to Go 49% Public", The New York Times (5 March 1999), p. C1 (New York edition) 1. Retrieved 15 February 2010.