|Kingdom of Denmark
|Regions of Denmark
|Central Denmark Region
Borum is a village in Aarhus Municipality, Central Denmark Region in Denmark. Borum is situated 2.5 kilometres south of Sabro and 3 kilometres west of the Aarhus suburb of Tilst and has a population of 306 (1 January 2023). About 2 kilometres west of Borum is the village of Herskind.
The village has an active community centered on the village hall, with amateur theatre, film club, choir, cooking, gymnastics, markets, etc.. Just south of Borum is the stream of Lyngbygård Å. The stream feeds Årslev Engsø and the Aarhus River and parts of the river valley has recently been environmentally restored and reconstructed, with nature paths and trails.
Borum church is placed on an elevation in the south west, overlooking the village. The older Romanesque parts of the small church is built from granite ashlar. There are several stone carved decorations and church frescos in the church. A 43 x 32 cm grey granite stone with a chiselled sun cross from the Bronze Age was discovered in the 1890s, when an associated stone dyke was dismantled. It has been in possession of the National Museum of Denmark since 1902.
The area of Borum has a very rich prehistory. North west of the village, towards the lake of Lading Sø, is an elevated plateau overlooking the surrounding landscape, with remains of several ancient tumuli. The most outstanding is Borum Eshøj, a tumuli grave from the Nordic Bronze Age and formerly one of the largest long barrows in Denmark. The site, which is a protected cultural heritage site, also holds remains of Bronze Age settlements, and a couple of contemporary houses have been reconstructed here.
- BY3: Population 1. January, by urban areas The Mobile Statbank from Statistics Denmark
- "Sporene i Lyngbygård Ådal" (PDF) (in Danish). Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 1 September 2015. A pamphlet guide to Lyngbygård Å
- Local historical archives for the Borum and Lyngby parishes (in Danish)
- Official homepage for Borum (in Danish)
- Borum church National Museum of Denmark (in Danish) Summary in English
- Official website