Balkan Universities Network
Balkan Universities Network
|Legal status||higher education associations|
|Purpose||Facilitation of higher education sector dialogue in the region of Balkans|
|Headquarters||Rotating among the member universities|
|Balkans and neighboring areas|
The Balkan Universities Network or Balkan Universities Association (BAUNAS) is an association of universities in Southeast Europe. In its present form the body was created after the breakup of the SFR Yugoslavia and the end of the Yugoslav Wars. Association facilitates the regional cooperation in the context of expansion of higher education sector caused by the establishment of new private and public universities (in addition to traditional schools with their existing institutional links).
Association helped in the exchange of experiences in the implementation of the Bologna Process at Balkan universities. The aim of the network is the exchange of know how and experience in research and education, mutual acceptance of certificates, encouragement of professors and students for more mobility between the universities and the use of support programs for student exchange. Besides bilateral meetings, conferences rotating between the member universities take place.
The 2010 conference was organized by the Trakya University in Edirne.Rector Enver Duran Trakya University Edirne (Turkey), President; Dean Hilmi Ibar Trakya University Edirne (Turkey), Vice-President; Rector Faruk Čaklovica University of Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina), Member; Rector Dhori Kule University of Tirana (Albania), Member; Rector Ioannis P Gerothanassis, University Ioannina (Greece), Member; Rector Anelia Klissarova, Varna Medical University (Bulgaria), Member.
In addition to the bilateral meetings, conferences of the Balkan universities take place at changing member locations.  The 2018 meeting took place in the University of Tetovo.
In 2016, the Rector of Trakya University Erhan Tabakoglu in Edirne has taken over the general secretariat of the association. Since 2018, Enver Duran has been honorary president and Pericles A. Mitkas president of BAUNAS. The new additional goal is to work more closely with the network of Black Sea Universities Network (BSUN).
- Enver Duran: Challenges of Higher Education Institutions in the Balkans, III Balkan Universities Network Meeting, Trakya Universität Edirne Mai 2010, ISBN 978-975-374-134-7
- Manfred G. Raupp: Lörrach Symposium - Lörrach Sempozyumu, Trakya Universität Edirne Mai 2011, ISBN 978-3-942298-02-5
Notes and references
|a.||^ The political status of Kosovo is disputed. Having unilaterally declared independence from Serbia in 2008, Kosovo is formally recognised as an independent state by 101 UN member states (with another 13 states recognising it at some point but then withdrawing their recognition) and 92 states not recognizing it, while Serbia continues to claim it as part of its own territory.|
- Protocole for the Balkan Universities Network
- Balkan Spring Education Conference at Edirne May 2010 Archived 2010-04-30 at the Wayback Machine
- The Objectives of the Balkan Universities Association
- "Бургаски свободен университет". Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Университет по хранителни технологии УХТ - гр.Пловдив - University of food technologies UFT - Plovdiv, Bulgaria". Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Varna Free University "Chernorizets Hrabar"". www.vfu.bg/en/. Archived from the original on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Kolegji ILIRIA". Archived from the original on 18 May 2015. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Universiteti i Prishtinës "Hasan Prishtina"". Retrieved 28 March 2018.
- Tarık TANRIVERDİ. "Bozok Üniversitesi". Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Kırklareli Üniversitesi Bilgi İşlem Daire Başkanlığı. "KLU - T.C. KIRKLARELİ ÜNİVERSİTESİ". Retrieved 14 May 2015.