Assembly of Turkmenistan
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2019)
Assembly of Turkmenistan
|Houses||People's Council of Turkmenistan|
Assembly of Turkmenistan
|Preceded by||Supreme Soviet of Turkmenistan|
First Deputy Speaker
|25 March 2018|
|Assembly of Turkmenistan building |
In addition to the chairperson and deputy chairperson, the Mejlis is organized into committees, which include:
Protection of human rights and freedoms;
Science, education, culture and youth policy;
International and inter-parliamentary relations;
Environmental protection, nature use and agro-industrial complex;
Working with local representative authorities and self-governing bodies.
Originally, it shared power with the People's Council. Since 2018, the People's Council has been restored as a parliamentary body, an arrangement that was formalized in 2020.
A 2003 law reduced the power of the Assembly and augmented that of the People's Council. This meant that until 2008 the Assembly could be legally dissolved by the People's Council, was led by the President, and was no longer able to amend the Constitution. Subsequently, the People's Council was demoted and reorganized into the Council of Elders by a new constitution drafted by Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow in 2008, making the Assembly/Mejlis the unicameral parliament again.
However, following the adoption of another new constitution in September 2016, President Berdimuhamedow issued a decree on 10 October 2017 transforming the Council of Elders back into the People's Council. The first meeting of the re-created upper chamber took place following the 2018 regional and local elections. Election to the upper chamber was held on 28 March 2021.
Powers and duties
The Constitution of Turkmenistan stipulates that the assembly:
- Enacts laws, makes amendments and additions to the Constitution and laws, monitors their performance and their interpretation.
- Considers for approval the programme activities of the Cabinet of Ministers;
- Examines questions related to approval of the state budget of Turkmenistan and reports on its implementation.
- Considers the basic directions and programmes of political, economic and social development of the country.
- Determines whether to hold national referendums.
- Declare the election of the President of Turkmenistan, deputies of the Mejlis, members of the velayat, district, municipal representative bodies and the Gengeshes.
- Considers the recommendations of the President of Turkmenistan on the issues related to the appointment and dismissal of the Chairman of the Supreme Court, the Prosecutor General, the minister for Internal Affairs, the minister for Justice.
- Establishes state awards, awards state decorations to the President of Turkmenistan, assigns him the military ranks and distinctions.
- Determines conformity to or divergence from the Constitution and the normative-legal Acts by the state authorities and government.
- Ratifies and denounces international treaties.
- Considers questions related to change of state borders and administrative and territorial division of Turkmenistan.
- Examines the issues related to peace and security.
- Decides other questions in the competence of the Mejlis under the Constitution and laws.
List of chairmen
- Sakhat Muradow (18 November 1990 – 7 May 2001)
- Raşit Meredow (7 May 2001 – 7 July 2001)
- Redzhepbay Arayow (7 July 2001 – 13 March 2002)
- Tagandurdy Hallyýew (13 March 2002 – 12 November 2002)
- Öwezgeldi Ataýew (12 November 2002 – 22 December 2006)
- Akja Nurberdiýewa (22 December 2006 – 30 March 2018)
- Gülşat Mämmedowa (30 March 2018 – present)
- National Council of Turkmenistan
- People's Council of Turkmenistan
- Politics of Turkmenistan
- List of Chairmen of the Supreme Soviet of the Republic of Turkmenistan
- List of Chairman of the Assembly of Turkmenistan
- List of legislatures by country
- "Türkmenistanyň Mejlisiniň deputatlary".
- "MEJLIS HAKYNDA". Retrieved 31 March 2021.
- "World Bulletin [ Turkmenistan adopts investor-friendly constitution ]". Archived from the original on 7 October 2008. Retrieved 26 September 2008.
- "Turkmenistan To Merge Parliament With People's Council". RFE/RL. 26 September 2019.
- "Turkmenistan preparing for transition to bicameral parliamentary system". trend. 5 December 2019.
- "President For Life? Turkmen Leader Signs Mysterious Constitutional Changes Into Law". RFE/RL. 25 September 2020.
- "Central Asia :: Turkmenistan — The World Factbook - Central Intelligence Agency". Cia.gov. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "В Ашхабаде пройдёт Халк Маслахаты Туркменистана" (in Russian). Новости Центральной Азии. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- "Turkmen Voters Given Two Hours To Cast Ballots In Senate Election". RFE/RL. 28 March 2021.
- "Туркменистан впервые в истории избрал верхнюю палату парламента" (in Russian). Deutsche Welle. 28 March 2021.
- "Председателем Парламента Туркменистана избрана Гульшат Маммедова" (in Russian). SNG Today. 30 March 2018.
- Article 63 of the Constitution of Turkmenistan
- TÜRKMENISTANYŇ MEJLISI